Sildenafil citrate is actually a chemical compound which is a citrate salt that is water soluble. It was first manufactured by Pfizer in the UK (United Kingdom) for curing the PAH (pulmonary hypertension) as well as angina pectoris.
Fascinatingly, Sildenafil citrate showed an exceptional pharmacological result, a perceptible penile erection, and turn out to be the first-line cure option to ED (erectile dysfunction). It has been stated that over 21 million males globally are cured with this medication, and around $1.9 billion each year are disbursed on it.
At that time, Sildenafil citrate turns out to be the leading oral beneficial agent utilized for curing the sexual dysfunction related to numerous ailments like radical prostatectomy, multiple sclerosis, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases. On the other hand, there are certain researches which displayed that the drug has affirmative results on a few brain ailments linked to oxidative strain.
What is sildenafil citrate?
This compound relaxes the blood vessel’s muscles and upsurges the flow of blood towards the specific region of a man’s body. It is available in the market under the “Viagra” name that is utilized for treating the problem of importance or ED (erectile dysfunction) among men. Revatio is one more sildenafil‘s brand that is used for curing the pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) and increase exercise capability in males and females. But you should keep in mind that while consuming the Revatio you are not allowed taking the Viagra.
How we should consume the sildenafil citrate?
You should consume the sildenafil citrate according to the doctor’s prescription. You must follow the entire instructions and read the entire medicine guides. The Revatio is generally consumed 3 times in one day with the time gap of 4 to 6 hours.
The Viagra is generally consumed when required only i.e. 30 minutes prior to the sexual relationship. However, you can take it 4 hours before the sexual act also. But don’t consume more than one pill of Viagra in the period of 24 hours. It will help you in getting the right amount of erection during sexual stimulation. The erection shall not take place only by swallowing the pill. You should strictly follow your doctor’s guidelines.
On the other hand, if you feel numbness, pains, tingling in arms, chest or neck or feel dizzy then, contact your doctor immediately. These might be the serious consequences of the drug.
What must I evade while consuming the sildenafil citrate?
There are a few things that you should avoid along with the intake of sildenafil citrate:
- You should not have alcohol or grapefruit or its products with it as this can result in serious side effects.
- Do not use the other drugs for treating the impotence along with it like yohimbine or alprostadil without consulting your doctor.
Side effects of Sildenafil citrate
The below are the signs if you get an allergic reaction to the Sildenafil citrate:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Swelling on tongue, lips, face or throat
In case of below signs of Sildenafil citrate’s side effects, you need emergency medical help and immediately stop the medicine consumption:
- Changes in vision or rapid vision loss
- Heart attack signs – pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, chest pain or pressure, sweating, and nausea
- Ringing in your ears or unexpected hearing loss
- Erection is aching or persists for more than 4 hours
- Uneven heartbeat
- Swelling in ankles, hands or feet;
- Seizure (fits)
- Shortness of breath;
- A dizzy feeling, like you, might lose consciousness.
The following are the common side effects of Sildenafil citrate:
- Flushing (hotness, soreness, or painful feeling)
- Indigestion, vomiting, or upset belly
- Unusual vision (variations in color vision or blurred vision,)
- Runny nose, hemorrhages
- Sleep difficulties (restlessness)
- Muscle aching
- back discomfort
Drugs affecting with sildenafil citrate
You should not take the below list of drugs or medicines along with the sildenafil citrate without telling your doctor:
- Medications like tadalafil (Cialis), avanafil (Stendra), or vardenafil (Levitra) that are used for curing ED.
- Medicines that are used for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension like riociguat (Adempas) should not be taken with sildenafil citrate.
- Antifungal drugs like itraconazole or ketoconazole
- Avoid the intake of nitrate drug for heart issues or chest discomfort along with it this can result in an unexpected and severe reduction in blood pressure.
- Drugs for curing a prostate disorder or high BP
- Drugs for the treatment of AIDS, HIV, ritonavir and many more
How sildenafil citrate functions?
Sildenafil citrate inhibits the working of an enzyme called as cGMP-particular PDE-5 (phosphodiesterase type-5) that disrupts the cGMP, a material which persuades calm muscles to ease. The hindrance of PDE-5 results to the augmented cGMP’s levels inside the calm muscle that supports muscle easing and vasodilation (a broadening of veins).
The elevated PDE-5‘s levels are originated inside the lungs, penis as well as retina. PDE-5 is similarly originated in the body surrounded by the calm muscle chambers of veins as well as muscles. Sildenafil citrate has the place in the category of drugs called PDE-5 inhibitors. A brand of sildenafil called “Viagra” is used to cure ED (or impotence) in males.
One more sildenafil citrate’s brand called Revatio is also used for curing PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension) and increase exercise capability in both males and females.
Advantages of the sildenafil citrate
Below are the advantages of sildenafil citrate:
- Sildenafil citrate upsurges the flow of blood towards the penile area subsequent the sexual arousal. It performs this by hindering the enzyme liable for the interruption of cGMP which is a constituent that eases and broadens veins and calms the muscle cells. It let the males have a hard erection that is sufficient for a sexual relationship.
- Sildenafil citrate merely functions after the sexual arousal. It functions in the period of 30 minutes to 60 minutes, however, might be consumed 4 hours before the sexual relationship.
- Sildenafil citrate also decreases the high BP related to PAH (pulmonary arterial hypertension). It eventually progresses the capability in the people suffering from PAH and postpones any deterioration of their signs.
- Sildenafil citrate is obtainable as a generic drug in the market also with the name “Sildenafil”. It comes in different sizes in the market like 25 mg, 50 mg or 100 mg at very reasonable price rate.
Disadvantages of sildenafil citrate
Below are the disadvantages of consuming the sildenafil citrate:
- The common problems like flushing, Dyspepsia, headache, muscle or back pain, indigestion, and visual disorders are normally felt.
- The other consequences comprise a fall in BP, Sudden hearing loss, nasal congestion, insomnia, or nosebleeds. But there is no proof that these signs arise in all the people consuming the sildenafil citrate.
- It might reduce the flow of blood towards the optic nerve instigating unexpected vision loss. The danger is more in males having more than 50 years of age and suffering from heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or the person who do lots of smoke, or suffering from pre-prevailing eye difficulties.
- Hardly ever, might result in other consequences or result in aching erections that remain for more than 4 hours of time. In such a case, you have to meet your doctor immediately.
- It does not provide any safety against STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).
Precautions about sildenafil citrate
You should follow the below list of precautions while taking the sildenafil citrate:
- Before consuming the sildenafil citrate, inform your doctor about all your allergies as it comprises inactive constituents that can result in allergic problems.
- You should inform all about your medical past like heart issues (for example, heart attack, heart failure, chest pain/angina), stroke in the previous six months, liver disease, kidney disease, a high loss of body water (lack of fluids), high or low BP, penis disorders (like fibrosis/scarring, angulation, Peyronie’s ailment), disorders which might upsurge the threat of priapism (like sickle cell anaemia, multiple myeloma, leukaemia), past of aching/lengthy erection (priapism), eye difficulties (like unexpected reduced vision, retinitis pigmentosa).
- It might make you light-headed or result in vision difficulties. Marijuana or alcohol might make you lightheaded. Do not use machines, driving or any other things which require attentiveness or clear vision after its intake. Always inform your doctor about all your habits.
- Before undergoing any surgical procedure, inform your physician or dentist regarding the entire products you are using (comprising non-prescription medications, prescription medicines, and herbal goods).
- Sildenafil citrate is generally not made for the females use. In the period of the prenatal period, sildenafil citrate must be consumed only when evidently required. Talk about the dangers and advantages to your physician.
- Don’t use the drug when you are breastfeeding as this might pass to your infant.
Effectiveness and Response of sildenafil citrate
The top plasma absorptions of sildenafil citrate are grasped in the period of 30 minutes to 120 minutes of a solo dosage. You can see the effects of the dose of sildenafil, once utilized for ED, generally visible in 30 minutes to 60 minutes of a solitary dosage.
While using the sildenafil citrate for treating the PAH, BP dropping effects are perceptible in 1 to 2 hours period.
Interactions of sildenafil citrate
Drugs which might have an interaction with the sildenafil citrate might reduce its effectiveness. They might increase their working time, upsurge consequences, or make the drug less effective. The interaction among the two drugs does not mean you should stop taking the drug but you should ask your doctor about their right management of consumption.
The below are few Common medicines which might interact with sildenafil:
- Alpha-blockers (for example, doxazosin, alfuzosin, tamsulosin, prazosin, or terazosin)
- Alpha-agonists (e.g., methyldopa, clonidine)
- Antidepressants, for example, sertraline, desipramine, or St. John’s Wort
- Antibiotics, like erythromycin, clarithromycin, norfloxacin, metronidazole, rifampin, rifabutin, or tetracycline
- Blood thinners like warfarin
- Antacids, like aluminum hydroxide or magnesium hydroxide
- Antifungal drugs, like ketoconazole, itraconazole, or voriconazole
- Epilepsy drugs, like oxcarbazepine, carbamazepine, phenytoin, phenobarbital, or primidone
- Cystic fibrosis drugs like ivacaftor
- Heart medicines, for example, amiodarone, amlodipine, bosentan, atenolol, captopril, clonidine, candesartan, enalapril, diltiazem, losartan, irbesartan, nifedipine, sotalol, propranolol, or verapamil
- Other ED drugs (for example, Cialis, alprostadil, vardenafil)
- HIV drugs (for example, saquinavir, delavirdine, atazanavir, fosamprenavir, efavirenz, etravirine, indinavir, nevirapine, ritonaviror tipranavir)
- Hepatitis drugs, for example, simeprevir and boceprevir
- Others drugs like butalbital, aprepitant, cyclosporine, cimetidine, or imatinib.
- Nitrates (for example isosorbide dinitrate, amyl nitrate, nitroglycerin or isosorbide mononitrate,
- some recreational drugs such as “poppers”
- Do not take sildenafil citrate with riociguat (Adempas).
The above list of drugs is not competed for one. There might be some drugs which can have interaction with the sildenafil citrate so take them after consulting your doctor only.
Important considerations for consuming the sildenafil citrate
The following are the important points that you need to keep in mind while consuming the sildenafil citrate after your doctor prescribed it:
- You must consume the sildenafil citrate without or with the food.
- You can crush or cut the tablet of sildenafil citrate.
- The time of consuming the sildenafil citrate is influenced by the disorder being cured:
- In the case of ED, you might consume sildenafil citrate during any time of 24 hours of period.
- In the case of PAH, you should take this medication 3 times in one day with the time gap of 4 hours to 6 hours. Do not forget to take it at a similar time of the day.
- You must store the tablets of sildenafil citrate at the room temperature varying between 58 degrees F to 85 degrees F (14 degrees C to 32 degrees C).
- Place the tablets of sildenafil citrate far from light.
- Do not store it in damp or moist regions, like bathrooms.
- You can get the drug again on the last doctor’s prescription when your dose gets finished.
Sildenafil citrate is a very useful drug or compound that is helping lots of men around the world in curing their sexual ailments like ED or impotence. If the problem is not severe then, it can be easily cured with this effective drug and a man can enjoy his sex life once again. Besides curing the ED, it also helps in reducing the symptoms of PAH. But the drug works effectively only if you take the drug according to your doctor’s directions and in right amount on right time.